Here’s the plan for 2015-2016!
General for 2015-2016, 4th grade and 6th Grade:
- The boys use a very simple spiral system for their assignment list, tracking, planning, book list, etc.
- 3 hours per day, 4 days per week is spent in structured time doing core subjects (math, language arts, literature, alternating some other subjects)
- 3 hours per day, 4 days per week is spent loosely pursuing everything else (fine arts, history, science, critical thinking, playgroups, co-ops, etc.).
- The rest of the time we play with friends, catch up, go on field trips, and have fun!
- Grammar and Writing: Essentials in Writing
- Penmanship: Handwriting Without Tears
- Spelling: All About Spelling
- Typing: Type to Learn (6th grade), Dance Mat Typing (4th grade), Sponge Bob Typing (4th grade)
- Vocabulary: Wordly Wise Online
- Reading Comprehension: Daily Reading Practice
- Many great literature lists, including but certainly not limited to: a fellow homeschooler’s list, 1000 Good Books, Honey For a Child’s Heart, The Read-Aloud Handbook, Books that Build Character
- Narration and discussion of material read
- Monthly Book Club
World History / Geography:
- Story of the World: Ancient Times
- Co-op weekly class for history related group projects
- The Complete Book of Maps and Geography
Fine Arts / Electives:
- Private piano lessons with the Alfred Basic Piano Series
- Christian Youth Theater
- A variety of enrichment co-op classes
- Youth Digital Programming Classes
PE / Health:
- 6th grader is learning to cook and designed his own workout program including treadmill and weights
- 4th grader is considering trying out gymnastics