I’ve made some tweaks to this year’s curriculum from the original plan. Here’s what we’re up to these days!
General for Fall 2012, 1st Grade (Bear) and 3rd Grade (Fuzzy):
- 3 hours per day, 4 days per week is spent in structured time doing core subjects (math, reading, writing)
- 3 hours per day, 4 days per week is spent loosely pursuing everything else (fine arts, history, science, critical thinking, playgroups, co-ops, etc.).
- The rest of the time we go to therapy, catch up, go on field trips, and have fun!
Language Arts (penmanship, grammar, writing, spelling, phonics):
- Phonics Road (Bear-1, Fuzzy-1,2)
- Fine motor development activities to strengthen writing muscles (Fuzzy, Bear)
- Handwriting Without Tears (Bear)
- Brain Integration Therapy Writing Program (Fuzzy)
- Many great literature lists, including but certainly not limited to: a fellow homeschooler’s list, 1000 Good Books, Honey For a Child’s Heart, The Read-Aloud Handbook, Books that Build Character (Fuzzy, Bear)
- Narration and discussion of material read (Fuzzy, Bear)
- Phonics Road “Little House in the Big Woods” literature study (Fuzzy)
- Math Mammoth (Bear-1, Fuzzy-3)
- Math facts drill practice on the computer (Bear, Fuzzy)
- Grapevine Studies (Bear, Fuzzy)
- Church, Sunday school, life
World History / Geography:
- Classical House of Learning Middle Ages History (Bear, Fuzzy)
- Co-op weekly class for history related group projects (Bear, Fuzzy)
- Private piano lessons with the Alfred Basic Piano Series (Fuzzy)
- Co-op classes
- Co-op classes
- Lots of outdoor play